Saturday, July 12, 2014

from America's breadbasket to America's fruit basket!

I was mesmerized as I watched row after row of grapevines, strawberries, and a variety of other produce that I couldn't figure out from my perch in the breeze. I was also reminded that people harvest these crops.  Not machines, but people who bend over all day in the hot sun so that I can enjoy strawberries, peppers, tomatoes, lettuce and the occasional glass of wine.  It was the worker who had to do tough and repetitive labor that inspired me to work for many years as an ergonomist.  So, this is my thank you to the farmers and the farmhands who work hard so that I can enjoy the fruits of this earth.  
Central coast grapevines



Strawberries!




The farmers' market in San Luis Obispo is more of a street carnival than it is a farmers' market: but we enjoyed it!

Crop dusting from a helicopter-I had never seen this before.

No comments:

Post a Comment