Sunday, March 13, 2016

Manatee Springs Florida, a hidden gem

With the addition of over 100 million gallons of water daily, Manatee springs is one of Florida's largest natural springs and a natural national landmark.  It is home to manatee in the winter months (and we missed them by 2 days!) but that opened up the 25 foot deep pool for swimming in brisk but beautiful clear spring water.  It was an amazing spot, beautiful freshwater swamps and lots of wildlife.  A new favorite Florida destination for me!
The swamps were beautiful.  It looked like this tree was a maple, the little red things were similar to the helicopters we get on the maples each fall.

I think if I were learning to kayak, this would be the place to do it. The waters were so calm and the current from the springs made for a nice easy drift outward. 

I think that all of those cone shaped things are roots.  I'm not really sure.  But all of the foreground was swamp, but it was freshwater so there wasn't an odor.  Just beautiful.

He seemed to be the traffic director as you entered the river.  

Lots of oak trees, so, lots of squirrels!


The first thing that struck me about Florida woodlands was the coexistence of palms and other trees. The palmettos are made into a dish called swamp cabbage.  Not my favorite way to eat hearts of palm, but a local favorite.

The banded watersnake: not venomous but still not something I wanted to mess with!

No comments:

Post a Comment