Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Washington DC: 9/11

Our only planned stop along the way was a meeting of the Association of Real Estate License Law Officials in Washington, DC. We called College Park, MD home for a week while Mark attended meetings in the city.  I'm a huge fan of the DC transit system.  The network of buses and trains will deliver any destination with just a short walk on the other end.  Given the shortage of parking and the regular gridlock on the highways, I can't imagine traveling the city any other way.

It was pretty sobering to see all the flags in the city flying at half mast.  

The Capitol dome is being restored: it looks so strange with all the scaffolding around it!


The World War II memorial: I wasn't as excited about the picture of the memorial as I was about the picture of the sun and the airplane.

The Washington Monument from the World War II memorial.  (this was after 9/11, note the flags are flying high!)

The Atlantic side of the WWII memorial.  

The Korean War Memorial. 



I've been to Washington, DC many times, but this is my first stop in the US National Arboretum.  It was a lovely respite from the heat and beautiful contrast to the concrete jungle.

Just some orchids: they're my favorite flowers. 

I'm told that the pineapple is a symbol of hospitality and welcome. Somehow with all the spines, they never seemed very welcoming to me!!

The EPA

There are no words for this picture.  



The monument on 9/11

No comments:

Post a Comment