Sunday, August 17, 2014

The critters of Yellowstone

I really hoped to see bear and moose.  The moose eluded me on this trip but I did manage to see a bear and a few other animals of note.  

I managed to have my tripod, remote shutter release and long lens for this beauty.  He was still too far away for a clear shot, but, I wanted to document him anyway. There is something very American about the eagle.

While the pics aren't great, this bird was interesting.  I thought it might be an Osprey, but, I'm not sure about the tuft on the head.  Yellowstone also has Peregrine Falcons, but the underside doesn't look quite right.  I'll have to send the pics to the park rangers and see what they say.



Whatever this bird is, it is certainly beautiful.  (and HUGE!)

This species was abundant in the park.  And, whenever there was a sign that said danger, or no trespassing, or stay behind this wall, there were always a few of this group that would be on the wrong side of the sign.  It was a very diverse group: tour buses that spoke French, Korean, Japanese, German and other languages I didn't recognize. If I visit the park again, I think I would like to go after labor day: fewer tourists, smaller crowds and less traffic. 

This grizzly stopped traffic.  He wandered beside the road and traffic backed up for about a half mile.  He seemed to ignore us and continue with his foraging. Georgy stuck her head out the window and barked ferociously (ok, ferocious for her!) as though she were protecting us.  The bear didn't flinch.

This bear must eat more than berries and shoots: I'm glad we didn't surprise him in the woods somewhere!

These elk hung out at the North entrance to Yellowstone right outside the hotel!

The antelope were cute, they were enjoying dinner at the end of the day near the exit to the park.

Mom kept an eye on her little ones while grazing.

We watched each other until a truck full of kids pulled up.  They had not yet learned the quiet communication methods of the antelope.

The family.


No comments:

Post a Comment