Thursday, August 7, 2014

Just a few more pics from Oregon

What I see is wholly dependent upon where we happen to stop.  Mark had to take a call and we had cell signal in Port Orford, Oregon.  That meant I got to wander around with my camera.  
This is the gallery owner: she didn't know I was watching her as she carefully placed her new sign in front of her window.


Fish on a fence.



2 orange flowers: one for Damian and one for Evan.  

Blueberries!

Yes, another bridge!

I was amazed by the sand dunes.  They seemed to pop out of nowhere and were surrounded by pine trees.

This is a protected area for cultivating oysters.  We saw huge mounds of oyster shells being hauled off.  If I remember the story, Ewing Kauffman got his start by grinding oyster shells in his garage to make calcium supplements that were later named OsCal.  He then founded Marion labs, later owned the Kansas City Royals and was a huge supporter of the Kansas City arts.  Who knew that Kansas City has such a strong connection to Oregon!

A mountain lake.

We stopped to buy fresh halibut, salmon and shrimp.  Georgy posed with seal...

Miles of sand along the northern Oregon coast.  I think that it is granite based in Oregon and I understand that the Oregon dunes are the largest expanse of dunes in North America.

The inland dunes with the ocean in the background.

The Heceta Head lighthouse.

I can see how people at the time of Christopher Columbus thought the world was flat.  I marveled at the stonework on the side of this mountain.  I imagined men hanging by ropes lowering stones down the side.  Man, I have a great job! :)

Curled up on Mark's jacket with her new toy.  Georgy is one spoiled pup!

No comments:

Post a Comment